I found this in an old e-mail I had sent a friend years ago. I didn’t write it but it was circulating around amongst students at a spiritual school I was going to at the time. The rules rise out of a conception of life and growth that is larger than individual lifetimes. I find that sense of scale useful as long as it serves our engagement with our life right now. Hope it is of use to you.
RULES FOR BEING HUMAN
1. You will receive a body. You may like it or hate it, but it will be yours for the entire period this time around.
2. You will learn lessons. You are enrolled in a full time informal school called life. Each day in this school you will have the opportunity to learn lessons. You may like lessons or think them irrelevant and stupid.
3. There are no mistakes, only lessons. Growth is a process of trial and error and experimentation. The “failed” experiments are as much a part of the process as the experience that ultimately “works”. Your experimentation is observed as to creativity, attitude, and most of all intention.
Key: All lessons may be successfully completed with intention correctly applied.
4. A lesson is repeated until learned, no exceptions. A lesson will be presented to you in various forms until you have learned it. If you try to avoid the lesson it will simply be presented to you with greater and greater difficulty until learned. Doping, drugging, making the body unconscious or dropping the body is not an option, as the lesson will follow you. When you have learned it, you can then go on to the next lesson or next higher level, even if it is another life.
Key: Each step up becomes easier, each step down becomes harder.
5. When you are learning lessons well and moving without resistance you will have an “OPTION” to decide to move ahead much quicker than you are at the time. If you take the option a door will appear for you to move through. You and only you will see the door. You and only you can walk through. After going through you will be able to teach others to find the door, but only they can go through, you cannot carry them through. If you decide not to move, the lessons become harder and increase in responsibility because of your increased awareness and resistance.
6. Learning lessons does not end. There is no part of life that does not contain lessons. If you are alive, there are lessons to be learned. If you have passed over to the other side, lessons you did not finish will be shown to you and you will have an ” OPTION” on how you would like to face them. You will then be returned to deal with what you could not deal with last time. If you left in resistance the lessons will indeed be presented to the degree of resistance that you left.
Key: Leave hard, lesson will be heard. Leave gentle, lesson will be gentle. Leave with awareness, return with no loss of memory.
7. There is no better “there” than “here”. When your “there” has become a “here” you will simply obtain another “there” that will look better than “here”.
Key: The only place to to make change from is right where you are.
8. Others are simply mirrors of you. You cannot love or hate something about another person unless it reflects to you something you love or hate about yourself.
9. What you make of your life is up to you. You have all the tools and resources you need. If, however, you feel that you need more tools all you have to do is ask and they will appear. It will be up to you, though, to recognize them when they show up.
10. Your answers lie inside you . The answers to life’s questions lie inside. All you have to do is look, listen and trust. If you fight the lesson you will forget all this and start again at the beginning. When you return the lessons that you resisted will be presented in a life to the degree that you resisted.
Key: Answers to success lie herein.